Where Traditions Evolve
Radisson North Baltimore Hotel. November 24-26, 2017
(formerly North Baltimore Plaza Hotel)
Chessiecon is committed to being an inclusive event and providing accommodation for people with disabilities. Our accessibility team is always available in conops to help. We have stickers that will let people know you get priority seating and assistance when needed.
There is wheelchair/scooter parking marked with blue tape in panel rooms.
We ask all Attendees to not block halls and aisles.
Wheelchairs available for those who need one.
Service Animals are welcome all through Chessiecon. Please respect that these are working animals; do not pet or otherwise distract service animals unless the owner invites you to.
If you have ideas how we can improve our access for everyone at Chessiecon, please feel free to let us know at accessibility AT chessiecon DOT org.
The purpose of this Code of Conduct is to prevent the behavior of one individual from disturbing the rest of the members. It applies to all pre-con, at-the-con, and post-con activities related to Chessiecon. All members are encouraged to read this code and ask questions about anything they do not understand.
Chessiecon is prepared to deal with any violations of the code as legally, rapidly, and efficiently as possible. We hope that each member will help to make Chessiecon an enjoyable experience for all, by respecting the rights of all attendees.
Failure to adhere to the code of conduct may result in:
1. Verbal warnings
2. Mediation by the Con Chair and Convention Head of Security with all parties involved in an incident
3. Turning the individual over to hotel/convention center staff/security
4. Revocation of membership and ejection from Chessiecon
5. Contacting local law enforcement
Chessiecon reserves the right to revoke memberships and to eject individuals from Chessiecon at any time for violations of this code, regardless of whether any other actions have been taken. No refunds will be provided.
BADGES: Chessiecon is a membership event. Chessiecon requires that all in attendance have membership badges for the convention and that said membership badges be worn and clearly visible at all times within the convention function spaces.
A badge is only valid for the individual to whom it was issued. Badges may not be shared or given to another party. Violation of this will result in removal from Chessiecon.
CHILDREN: A parent or designated adult must be responsible for children under the age of 12 at all times. We require that each child have a cell phone number for parents or guardians written on the back of their badge, so that staff members may contact the responsible adults should the need arise. Chessiecon does not provide babysitting, and is not responsible for children left unattended. In particular, Chessiecon is not responsible for identifying parents and guardians, or for preventing a child from leaving a room or the hotel. If you do not trust your child to stay where you expect them to be - DO NOT LEAVE THEM.
PERSONAL INTERACTION: We ask that you respect others. We want everyone to be comfortable and feel safe while attending Chessiecon.
1. Harassment of others will not be tolerated and is a violation of the code of conduct.
2. If someone asks you to leave them alone, walk away and do not approach them again. There is no reason for you to have any further interaction with them. If you feel there is, speak with a member of the convention committee or staff, and an intermediary will be found to conduct whatever transactions are necessary.
3. Discrimination against any convention member based on irrelevant characteristics will not be tolerated and is a violation of the code of conduct.
4. Such irrelevant characteristics include but are not limited to: gender, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or physical/mental disability.
5. If you feel that you have been harassed or discriminated against:
a. Politely tell the individual that their behavior is inappropriate. Sometimes this is sufficient.
b. If you do not feel comfortable talking with the individual or individuals involved, or if talking to them once does not work, please immediately report the situation to any Chessiecon committee or staff member. If possible provide a name or badge name and a physical description of those involved. The committee or staff member will notify Convention Head of Security and/or the Con Chair.
6. PLEASE -- Unless an incident is reported, nothing can be done.
1. Only certain convention hotel rooms are available for parties. All public parties must be coordinated with Chessiecon.
2. No one under 21 may be served alcohol. Hosts are required to card anyone who wishes to drink at their event. Attempting to drink while under 21 or knowingly serving alcohol to someone under 21 is a violation of the code of conduct and Maryland law, and will result in removal from Chessiecon.
3. Props that resemble weapons should not be brought to parties.
HOTEL INTERACTIONS: We ask that you follow any and all rules set by the convention hotel.
1. The person under whose name the room is rented is solely responsible for the conduct of all individuals in the room and for the condition of the room. Excessive trash, any act of vandalism, deliberate or excessive damage to the hotel room or its contents, or any interference with the hotel staff will be handled by the hotel and does not involve the convention.
2. Individuals, regardless of whose name the room is rented in, will be billed for said damages by the hotel. In addition, individuals may be evicted from the hotel and/or the convention and may also face criminal charges.
SMOKING: Smoking is not allowed inside the hotel or within 25 feet of any entrance to the hotel. Smoking within a hotel room will be considered vandalism. Please confine smoking to designated outside areas only. Do not litter.
PETS: No pets are allowed in hotel and convention function spaces. Service animals are not pets, and are allowed wherever their owners are allowed.
1. The only weapons permitted to be worn or carried in the public areas of the hotel during the convention will be costume weapons of an obviously unreal nature, such as fantasy, steampunk, or science fictional weapons. All blades and pistols must be sheathed and peace-bonded at all times, except during specifically exempted convention programming. Any bows or crossbows must be unstrung or strung with string or twine only. Any projectile weapon must be unloaded and incapable of firing projectiles. Any weapon allowed by this policy that may still cause problems is prohibited. If you have questions, speak to the convention chairperson before carrying the object in question into public space.
2. No object, be it replica weapon, vacuum cleaner hose or anything else, may be used in a threatening or dangerous manner.
PRIVACY, PHOTOGRAPHY, AND ELECTRONIC RECORDING:
This is a private event; by registering, individuals grant Chessiecon and designated photographers a non-exclusive right to photograph, videotape, otherwise record, and publish (in print or electronically) themselves, companions, activities, costumes, artwork, sales goods, and other property used or displayed in their normal participation of the convention.
Photographers, ask permission before you photograph or audio/videotape any individual or group. Anyone who does not wish to be photographed or recorded should state their wishes unambiguously.
We presume that you are acting in an amateur capacity unless otherwise stated. Articles or media coverage released after the convention may earn you a membership to the next Chessiecon.
Individuals or organizations violating these guidelines by selling, reproducing, broadcasting, or publishing materials obtained at a Chessiecon convention without permission may be guilty of copyright violation and/or trespass, and may be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. If you have any questions as to what is appropriate, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
SALES OF MERCHANDISE: The offering for sale of any merchandise must be confined to designated areas and done only with the permission of Chessiecon.
Chessiecon reserves the right to amend the code of conduct at any time without prior or posted notice and reserves the sole right of interpretation. The rules stated above are not all inclusive. Any action or behavior that is illegal, unsafe, or causes significant interference with convention operations, excessive discomfort to members, or adversely affects Chessiecon's relationship with its guests, the venue, or the public is strictly forbidden.
Copyright © 2017 - All Rights Reserved - TSFS, Inc.